Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
There is a time from the moment you discover the water damage until the time SERVPRO of Columbia & Greene Counties arrives. You may ask yourself, "What should I do until they get here?" The answer varies depending on the severity of the water loss and the conditions in which your home is in at that point in time. Please follow these tips below to ensure a safe, quick and efficient cleanup and restoration. You can count on your local SERVPRO of Columbia & Greene Counties Professionals to arrive quickly, be prepared for whatever happens and help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (518) 943-5005
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.