Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
There is a time from the moment your home or business experiences a fire until the time SERVPRO of Columbia & Greene Counties arrives. You may ask yourself, "What should I do until they get here?" The answer varies depending on the severity of the fire loss and the conditions in which your home is in at that point in time. Please follow these tips below to ensure a safe, quick and efficient cleanup and restoration. You can count on your local SERVPRO of Columbia & Greene Counties Professionals to arrive quickly, be prepared for whatever happens and help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (518) 943-5005
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.