Clean Water Damage: DOs and DON'Ts
These Emergency Tips will assist you in taking proper action until SERVPRO of Columbia & Greene Counties arrives.
- Shut of the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable in a safe, dry place.
- Use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.