Fire and Smoke Damage: DOs and DON'Ts
These Emergency Tips will assist you in taking the proper action until SERVPRO of Columbia-Greene Professionals arrive.
- Limit movement in home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop the doors open to help prevent odor.
- Keep hands clean; soot on hands can further soil upholstery and carpet traffics areas.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Columbia-Greene.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration during a disaster.